[TangerineSDR] Notes from PSWS / TangerineSDR call of 03-30-2020

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 23:40:57 EDT 2020

Hi all,

  Sorry I missed the call.  There is a typo: the field model is IGRF, not
IGRFG.

  IGRF is provided by a series of spherical harmonic coefficients.  These
are marked for any 5 year interval either as intermediate (IGRF),
definitive (DGRF), or predictive (for the current 5 year interval; uses
secular change estimates).  Usually the coefficients come out every 5
years, but the field was changing so fast that the last update came early
in 2019 instead of 2020.  A simple code, often in FORTRAN, calculates the
field given location and epoch (time).

73
Phil W1PJE

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:28 PM Tom McDermott via TangerineSDR <
tangerinesdr at lists.tapr.org> wrote:

> Notes from PSWS / TangerineSDR call of 03-30-2020
> 1. Bill has started posting the PSWS / TangerineSDR software to
> https://github.com/AB4EJ-1/TangerineSDR-notes
>
> 2. Kp is determined by a network of magnetometers. This is useful
> in predicting propagation disturbances. During normal conditions:
>   At the poles the vertical component should be about 60,000 nT and the
>   horizontal component near zero. At the equator the horizontal component
>   should be about 30,000 nT and the vertical component near zero.
>
> 3. Discussion on magnetometer calibration: how often do they need to be
> calibrated, and how would this be accomplished?
>
> 4. International Geomagnetic Reference Field (IGRFG) model profile
> parameters provides long term estimates of magnetic field by
> lat/long/height and year:
> https://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/modelweb/models/igrf_vitmo.php
>
> -- Tom, N5EG
>

> --