[TangerineSDR] CEDAR Virtual Workshop June 22 - 26

Aidan Montare aam141 at case.edu
Thu Jun 11 13:41:48 EDT 2020

*tl;dr: CEDAR workshop is free and online June 22 - 26th. Visit CEDAR wiki,
register, and plan to attend any sessions that pique your interest, learn
science!*

Dear HamSCI and TangerineSDR communities,

As has been mentioned on several recent telecons, the CEDAR Virtual Meeting
is coming up in two weeks! In this email I just wanted to collect the
information about the workshop that is most likely interesting to HamSCI
folks.

CEDAR stands for Coupling, Energetics, and Dynamics of Atmospheric Regions.
CEDAR is a program funded by the National Science Foundation’s Atmospheric
and Geospace Sciences Division. CEDAR studies the behavior of various
regions of the Earth's atmosphere, and it is the program through which our
Personal Space Weather Station project is funded.

The CEDAR workshop consists of multiple community-run online sessions June
22nd to 26th. The workshop is free to attend, and everyone is welcome to
watch one or more of the sessions.

To reiterate Dr. Frissell's remarks: this is a great place for anyone in
HamSCI to learn more about the science parts of what we do, as well as the
broader science of the atmosphere. Look over the schedule and pick one or
two sessions that seem interesting, and see what you learn!

All the information for the workshop is on the CEDAR program's wiki:

http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2020_Workshop:MainVG

I'll call out a few things on that page in particular:

1. Registration:  If you are interested in attending any of the sessions,
fill out the registration form so that the organizers can send out updates.

2. The workshops list: Browse these and see which ones you might be
interested in. It seems that not all the workshops are finalized, so this
page may be updated over the next several days. There is also a link to an
agenda version of the schedule.

3. Pre-recorded science highlights: In addition to the workshops, there
will also be pre-recorded videos from various CEDAR scientists talking
about their work. The videos will be posted online, and it seems that they
will be provided for you to view at your own convenience (i.e. there's no
specific time in the schedule for them.)

You are encouraged to look over the workshops list and attend whichever
sound interesting to you, but we noted on this morning's telecon some
workshops that are especially relevant to us at HamSCI:

- Virtual student day: Monday 22 June from 9AM-3PM MDT. The student day has
a series of tutorials that are a great way to learn the basics of CEDAR
science. The tutorial information is also a great reference to refer back
to.

- "Snakes on a Spaceship" Thursday 25 June from 09:00-11:00 Mountain Time.
This workshop is all about Python for Space Science. Many of us in HamSCI
have been doing data processing using Python, so this sounds very relevant.

- "Joint Session on TAD/TID/MSTID"  Thursday, 25 June 2020 from 11:00
AM-01:00 PM Mountain Time. Travelling Atmospheric Disturbances and their
closely related cousins Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances are some of the
things the PSWS is looking to detect. This session is a good way to learn
more about the science of what it is we're looking to measure.

- Our very own Dr. Nathaniel Frissell W2NAF will be submitting a science
highlights video on the Personal Space Weather Station project!

Finally, I think it would be nice to do small HamSCI discussion section /
recaps during the workshop, especially for those like myself who are newer.
Email me separately if you would be interested.

This will be my first CEDAR workshop, and I'm looking forward to it! Hope
to see you there!

73's,

--
Sincerely,