[TangerineSDR] White paper on FPGA implementation of chirp receiving (oblique ionosond data)

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 11:21:13 EDT 2020

During the HAMSCI call with Juha Viernen we discussed some implementation
details of the oblique chirp bases ionosond data.   Juha uses 2 x 1 GbE to
collect the wideband HF data.

In reviewing a possible TangerineSDR implementation the de-chirping process
seems straight-forward within the data engine FPGA.  This approach
dramatically
reduces the needed datarate from the receiver to the data collection host.
One difficulty however could be implementing a spectral whitening filter in
front of
the de-chirper.

The attached whitepaper looks at an approach and algorithm that appears
to be able to accomplish this within the FPGA itself.  Scotty took a quick
look at
it and believes that it would fit within the currently selected FPGA
resources.

Please pass along any comments about this approach.  This email has
been cross-posted to both HAMSCI and Tangerine lists since it probably is of
interest to both.

Dave L.:  do we need a new section on the TangerineSDR webpage for white
papers?

-- Tom, N5EG