[TangerineSDR] Setting up DE for selected bands and sample rate

Rob Wiesler robert.wiesler at case.edu
Mon Apr 20 18:12:08 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 20:40:10 +0000, Engelke, Bill via TangerineSDR wrote:
> On Monday, April 20, 2020 1:41 PM, Rob Wiesler <robert.wiesler at case.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am also looking for a C implementation of the algorithm as I will
>>> most likely be running 4 instances if it (at the same time) and the
>>> RasPi3B+ will most likely choke on trying to do that in python.
>>
>> If need be, I can help with that eventually.  However (and I have not
>> seen Skylar's implementation at all), most Python libraries for
>> number crunching are reasonably-thin wrappers around optimized C
>> libraries.  There's a little overhead, but it's not too bad in most
>> cases.  If you needed a bare-metal implmentation, then yes, C might
>> be required, but I urge you to wait for Skylar's implementation and
>> actually try it on your target hardware before starting a C port.
>>
>> Remember, the first rule of premature optimization is "Don't".
>
> Words of wisdom to be sure.  It's just that all my other code for
> working with this data is in C, so I guess I would have to call the
> Python code from C (?) - Bill

Sure, why not?  Beats rewriting existing code, and then updating it
whenever the original changes.  You can set up a Python runtime inside a
C environment if you really want to [0][1][2], but I'd recommend just
leaving the Python as a standalone process if you can.

[0] https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8497
[1] https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/veryhigh.html
[2] https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/index.html