[TangerineSDR] IGRF Python Package

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 11:50:22 EDT 2020

Hi all,

  I strongly recommend that this project

a) use revision control
b) host its own SVN / git / etc. server

  Relying on things like GitHub is not safe in the long term, because
corporate decisions can change abruptly on what is offered free to the
community and what is not.  Also, many of the "free" services make
absolutely no guarantees about where any of the data is backed up, what the
backup schedule is, etc.

  I relate these pieces of advice from painful experience at MIT Haystack.
Our group believed Dropbox when they rolled out a storage plan with very
large upper bound limits for MIT.  A couple years ago, they abruptly
cancelled that policy and assigned a very large per year fee for the
storage we had been using.  I'm still trying to figure out how to extract
100s of TB of data from them, and some of it may be lost for good.

73
Phil W1PJE

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 11:45 AM Tom McDermott via TangerineSDR <
tangerinesdr at lists.tapr.org> wrote:

> Hi Steve - thanks for the offer !
>
> This brings up a general question:  should TangerineSDR / PSWS host this
> kind of software someplace?
> One could imagine that over time there may be an increasing number of
> software utilities and packages of
> interest to the group, it would be nice to have them accessible through
> one link or portal (ideally with revision control ! ).
>
> Is this something the group should consider?  If so, is github the right
> solution?, a page of links?, something else?
>
> -- Tom, N5EG
>

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 5:57 AM Stephen Roland Kaeppler via TangerineSDR <
> tangerinesdr at lists.tapr.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All-
>>
>> I will add a comment if it is of interest, that I wrote some code a while
>> back in python that directly calculates the magnetic field using the IGRF
>> coefficients and derivatives (useful in a ray tracer).  If you guys want
>> that, I could package it up and send it over to anyone interested.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve

>> Stephen R. Kaeppler, Ph.D.
>> Assistant Professor