[TangerineSDR] Question about Personal Space WX functionality

Engelke, Bill bill.engelke at ua.edu
Thu Sep 26 15:28:24 EDT 2019

Ward – thanks, this is most helpful.  For now, I have included your comments into the Future Feature Concepts section, although a couple of things you mentioned are included in Phase 1 (or can be accommodated).  Below are some in-line remarks about those.

On reaching out – I can think of a couple of user communities who would be interested in suggesting features – one is as you mentioned, SARA and groups interested in radio data collection; another is “Joe/Josephine Ham,” who might be motivated to build a PSWS to have his/her own propagation monitoring for helping their operating. (See my comments below on automated signal monitoring).  I’d love to have your advice on how to select the group(s) to reach out to, and how to do that.

Something to bear in mind for all of this is that this is a multi-phase project that will span years. For Phase 1, we have a specific scope of work that we will need to focus on for the NSF, but will try to work in a way that allows folks outside the core team to contribute in special interest areas outside main scope. (see also below).

Discussion points:

“Standalone single-channel instrumentation, either as a PSWS module or a separate device, such as a magnetometer, irradiation meter, event counter (Geiger counter), or other useful devices related to space weather and general ionospheric studies. ….  “

  *   The magnetometer is already included; however, for future additional devices, my idea is to design the software as a collection of small individual services that communicate using standard methods, so that volunteers can write additional compatible modules that can operate through the standard I/O pins on the Odroid to interface to other devices. A related question will be what to do with the data, since not everything will fit into our database model, at least in the short term.

“Automated signal monitoring and tracking, such as an RBN node, WSPR receiver, PSK Reporter node, etc. …..  “

  *   We plan to include this in Phase 1 for at least FT8 and WSPR, with upload to PSK Reporter and WSPRNet, for up to 8 bands simultaneously. (The Red Pitaya can do this today, so we need to have at least that much).
  *   An additional item would be to allow the user to specify (say, up to 5) callsigns to watch for, and get an email (which could route to a text message) to alert them when that callsign is detected. A great cheat option for contacting DXpeditions that plan to operate at least some digital.

“Noise characterization on a long-term basis beyond what the ARRL is envisioning with their Noise Study. …. “

  *   I’m not sure if this would fit into Phase 1 (Nathaniel --?) – but definitely a good idea
  *   On a related note, it would be possible (maybe using an AI approach) to detect when a band is open and alert the user (see above).

  *   Tnx es 73 – keep in touch – Bill, AB4EJ