[TangerineSDR] Uploading congestion

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Tue May 14 16:00:12 EDT 2019

Hi Bill,

Something to consider is the imminent explosion of always available
satellite internet (Starlink, etc.). It is real and happening now. Starlink
is due to be functioning by 2021; not long.  So one has to balance the way
things are now versus what they will be in the near future.

73
Phil

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 15:56 Engelke, Bill via TangerineSDR <
tangerinesdr at lists.tapr.org> wrote:

> To all – here is something to think about.  I recently got my SatNOGS
> telemetry copying system working in full automatic mode, which means it
> runs almost continuously collecting and uploading spectrum data from
> passing birds. In doing work that needs some real-time bandwidth (using
> remote terminal), I notice frequent lag times in response, which I
> attribute to IP congestion, i.e., the SatNOGS box is uploading a lot of
> spectrum data, and this uploading monopolizes my internet connection.
>

> This is something that we are going to have to contend with for home
> users. I can realistically foresee that guys will be forbidden by their
> families from running the PSWS when Game of Thrones is on Hulu, because of
> contention for bandwidth.  The Game of Thrones reference is kind of a joke,
> but it won’t be funny when this very real issue affects science uploads.
>

> It should be possible to design some ways to throttle the upload, or block
> certain hours, or something. Just please keep your thinking cap on…
>

> W. D. Engelke (Bill), Asst. Research Engr.
>
> Center for Advanced Public Safety
>
> Cyber Hall
>
> The University of Alabama
>
> Tuscaloosa, AL 35487