[TangerineSDR] Local Host Functional Specification, Version 0.1

Scotty Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Mon May 13 16:29:39 EDT 2019

Hi Bill,

It is good to see specifications take shape!  TAPR has a Github account,
will this be sufficient for the "parking lot"?

Comments on the spec.

First, my concept of the TangerineSDR *includes* the SBC. Here is the
block diagram from the hardware spec:

Without confusing things too much, can we make this distinction? So
really, if we take a TangerineSDR and program the SBC with the PSWS
Local Host software, we will transform the TangerineSDR into a PSWS.
(Likely we would also have to re-program the FPGA with new firmware, and
ensure that the TangerineSDR had the correct hardware sub-modules (CKM,
RFM, DE, Sensor shield.)

The part that you refer to as the "Tangerine" is really the TangerineSDR
DE and associated components (CKM, RFM, Sensor Shield).

You do mention connecting the TangerineSDR DE directly to a server. I
want to make sure that our terms are consistently correct (blame my
OCD). In the TangerineSDR world, it is a server, a connection between
the RF world and our network. The combination of direct UDP data to/from
the DE and/or UDP/TCP C&C plus data to/from the SBC makes up the
TangerineSDR "Server" function. TangerineSDR talks to "clients",
processors, consumers (RX) or producers (TX) of data.

So in the case where the SBC is the consumer and pre-processor of data,
the SBC part of my definition of TangerineSDR becomes a client to the
DE. It then becomes a "server" to what you refer to as the Server, which
I presume is the Central Server of All PSWS Big Data. The Central Server
then becomes a "server" to Scientific clients that which to obtain and
study the data collected from all the thousands of PSWS.

So what is the best nomenclature to use? Perhaps we should define a PSWS
Central Server to be "SWServer" or "SWSS". And then call out the
specific pieces of the hardware by their names, since we are really
defining them in terms of function in your spec. So please use
"TangerineSDR DE" and either "TangerineSDR SBC" or maybe just "SBC",
which is clear enough. To me, TangerineSDR by itself means the whole
CKM, RFM, DE and SBC.

Again, my goal is for "TangerineSDR" to be configurable as "PSWS",
"P4G", "STEM SDR", etc. All of these will include some form of SBC.

The confusion is probably my fault for putting the DE hardware spec cart
before the TangerineSDR system spec horse.

On GNURadio, I doubt that you will find that any affordable SBC will
provide GNURadio with adequate run-time resources. Have you loaded
loaded and run it on a RPi? My opinion is that it is a great R&D tool,
but it is nowhere stable enough to include in any release of automated
PSWS software. I can't even imagine a thousand copies of GNURadio on
PSWS all around the world. It would simply not work. I am willing to be
proven wrong, but we will need a lot more testing to prove stability
before then.

On system updates, I plan to have the ability for the LCC to supporting
updates to the DE firmware from the SBC. In my case, I was thinking
manual update by connecting the SBC to a web page and letting the user
pick an update from a list. The Remote C&C could implement an external
prcedure to virtualize a firmware update to the DE via the LCC
interface. It could even be made automatic or a push update from the
SWSS, with proper authentication.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI