[TangerineSDR] PSWS System Specification preliminary Ver 0.1

Scotty Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Thu May 2 20:27:44 EDT 2019

Hi Tom,

Here are my comments on your excellent document.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI

Notes on PSWS Specification V 0.1 5 May 2019

Section 3.0
Clock module will have 4 *programmable clock* outputs:
1. FPGA
2. RF Module #1
3. RF Module #2
4. High-speed Reference Clock

In addition, two more outputs:
5. 1 PPS timing
6. 10MHz fixed reference

Clock outputs should be differential LVDS. Single ended clocks will be
too noisy, especially across a connector boundary.

The FPGA should not provide the ADC clocks, they should come directly
from the clock module. The ADC may supply a source-synchronous data
clock to the FPGA.

Section 4.0
Magnetometer interface can be I2C, SPI, serial UART or RS-485.

The magnetometer will almost certainly need to be remotely mounted. In
this case, RS-485 is recommended. We can specify two-wires for
communictions and two wires for power (typically 5V).

Section 5.0
It is not immediately clear that *each* RF Module has two synchronous
channels.

Note that the *pluggable filter* can be bypassed with a jumper, making
it optional. Maybe call it "optional pluggable filter".

Section 6.
The DE shall also be capable of sourcing or sinking UDP data streams
to/from any IP address, under direction of the host processor.

The DE will have a three-port GbE switch, connecting the FPGA, host PC
and external network. How do you want to explain this?

Section 7.0
Processing the stream from the DE is optional, since it may not be able
to process this much data. The metadata tasks will fall to the DE in
this case.

The host will not always transmit the data to the central server. The
host may direct the DE to stream data directly to the central server if
it cannot process the volume or rate of data.

Section 8.
I have been using "Command and Control Protocol" for the protocol used
between the central server and the host PC. I have been using "Local SDR
Protocol" for the protocol between the host PC and the DE.

We could use "Remote Command and Control", or "RCC" for the
host<-->central server communications, and "Local Command and Control"
or "LCC" for host<-->DE communications. Whatever we use, we should
define it.

The Remote Command and Control section seems to be missing (although you
refer to it once in section 10). Even though we don't know what the
protocol    is, I think it should be mentioned (as defined an a separate
document?)

I think we need to make a clear distinction between Remote C&C and Local
SDR C&C. We will need security and maybe encryption on the Remote C&C,
but not so much on the Local SDR protocol.