[TangerineSDR] PSWS System Specification preliminary Ver 0.1

Lyle Johnson kk7p4dsp at gmail.com
Thu May 2 12:28:24 EDT 2019

Hello Tom!

Is there a document that describes the Space Weather Station System so I
can more easily see where the weather station fits into the overall
scheme of things?

5. RF Module

I worry about pluggable filter modules because that implies custom stuff
and thus a need for someone to design it/them. Still, an external filter
module (small Hammond or other shielded box with 50-ohm in and out)
could always be used so this is probably a Good Thing to include.

Not sure what 88 dB dynamic range for directly sampled signals means.  A
perfect 14 bit ADC would have about 84 dB raw dynamic range.  The
LTC2208, still one of the best 16-bit ADCs I think, has an effective
number of bits of just under 13 (12.6 is the number I've seen) though
the spec sheet claims a Spurious  Free DR of 100 dB.

7. Host Computer

Since the magnetometer specification is so vague, and since it only
needs to be processed once per second (and I assume a few microseconds
or even milliseconds of uncertainty in that sampling would have
negligible impact) I suspect the host computer is much better suited to
collect and format the data.  If the interface is some standard thing
easily implemented by a standard FPGA library (like a SPI or SPI port)
then the FPGA could gather the raw samples.

Hopefully a magnetometer thingy can be located that meets whatever the
needs are for it, that is already equipped with an interface that can be
read by a PC over a standard interface.

---

Just some initial thoughts,

Lyle