[TangerineSDR] Benchmarking the Odroid N2 with Digital RF

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:26:23 EDT 2019

Hi Bill,

  Agree.  One more point:  There is no way around the fact that nothing -
spinning media, SSDs, etc. - is going to survive repeated writes such as
happens in a ring buffer situation.  The RAMdisk for the first buffer
doesn't solve the problem either - something has to shovel the data out of
there onto one of these types of media.

  The manufacturers still make you pay > 10X per GB for "enterprise class"
drives if you want the sustained performance under those stress levels.  I
can't see any other way around it.  The social implications for the
personal space weather station need to be thought on some, and a strategy
for what will be done needs to be articulated, even if it's "sorry - you'll
have to replace media every 2 years".  But that conclusion allows for
future technology progress to things like magnetoresistive storage, which
is supposed to come along Real Soon Now (tm).

73
Phil

--
----