[nos-bbs] Help with getting minimal JNOS configuration working

David Lolling dave.lolling at gmail.com
Sun May 7 14:09:28 EDT 2023

Hello,
I am a long time Ham and long time Linux/Unix user but just started playing
with AX25/Aprs.  I have two small test packet stations setup consisting of
a Raspberry Pi connected to a Baofeng UV-5R through a DigiRig interface.
Both systems have the AX25 stack installed as well as Direwolf.  I set up
the test environment so I can learn about packet radio and eventually set
up a BBS in our area as we currently do not have any packet services in our
area.

I have JNOS version 2.0.o.2 installed on one of the Raspberry Pi's and it
seems to be working OK. I am using the minimal autoexec.nos and am having
problems getting the RF port up and running.

When I start up JNOS using the command ./jnos -d /jnos I get the following
errors:

Can't lock /dev//tmp/kisstnc (/var/lock/LCK../tmkisstnc): No such file or
directory
Interface "vhf" unknown
input line: ifconfig vhf description "vhf - 1200 baud port"
Interface "vhf" unknown
input line: param vhf 2 256
Interface "vhf" unknown
input line: param vhf 3 1
Interface "vhf" unknown
input line: param vhf 5 1
Interface "vhf" unknown
input line: param vhf TxDelay 25
Interface "vhf" unknown

I started Direwolf before starting JNOS and Direwolf reports the following:
Virtual KISS TNC is available on /dev/pts/2
Ready to accept AGW client application 0 on port 8000 ...
Ready to accept KISS TCP client application 0 on port 8001 ...
Created symlink /tmp/kisstnc -> /dev/pts/2

I am assuming I just have something misconfigured?
>From past experiments, I have axports, ax25d.conf, ax25-node configured so
I can connect to this node.  At the moment, I don't have any of that
running, just Direwolf and JNOS running.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get JNOS configured so I can
connect using the RF port? Do I need to make any other configuration
changes? Are there other commands I need to run and in what sequence?

Any help would be appreciated.
73 - Dave
KD9GN