[nos-bbs] JNOS 2.0o.1 - IPV6 tun VS tap important info

Maiko Langelaar (Personal) maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Tue Mar 28 10:02:37 EDT 2023

The 2.0o repository has been updated again.

a) IF you have no desire to use IPV6 then leave your configuration as is.

b) IF you want to play with IPV6, then leave your existing configuration
     as is, and ADD whatever is suggested in the updated README.ipv6
     file that is part of the latest update.

c) You MUST use tap for ipv6, I have updated the tun driver to allow for
      both TAP and TUN modes. What may confuse people is the device
      name on the linux side will always be tunN, regardless of whether
      it is in TUN or TAP mode.

      So it is easy to forget to use mode tap on the linux side when you
      first create the interface. The ipv6 iface name MUST contain 'tap' in
      the iface name (in autoexec.nos), which tells tun driver to use TAP
      mode.

d) If you have an existing configuration from before all this IPV6
stuff, then
      do NOT replace your existing TUN with the TAP interface. Again,
the TAP
      is extra (only if you want to use IPV6).

e) The tun driver was recently updated to allow for multiple ifaces, with
      mixed modes, TAP or TUN, read the README.ipv6 for details.

For my test system, I can now do PUBLIC ipv6 direct with my JNOS ...

This is pure IPV6, no tunnels, direct - very early stage, but coming along !

Maiko / VE4KLM