[nos-bbs] what constitutes NEW msgs ?

sky at aa6ax.us sky at aa6ax.us
Sun Sep 25 21:36:30 EDT 2022

Not knowing the history, my guess is that the nomenclature NEW came in the 1990’s when it might have been interchangeable with UNREAD. Or maybe the two were separate indicators in some systems.

I would say that since we don’t have READ/UNREAD we would assume that NEW is the same as UNREAD.

Another way of saying this is that NEW is not a useful concept. You can always look at the date on an incoming messages to know it’s new, but without some READ/UNREAD indicator there would be no way to know whether you had read it or not.

This is exceptionally important on a 1200 bps channel where reading messages over again is very time-consuming.

—Sky