[nos-bbs] Update - Full Blast TCP/IP (DATA) over VARA experiments

Maiko (Personal) maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Thu Nov 3 10:00:24 EDT 2022

Good morning all,

Note : original posted to VARA-MODEM at groups.io

Last night was epic. I got the prototype working that allows me to use
tcp/ip between two linux hosts, over a VARA connection. Telnet is slow
on login and password because of all the control characters (it's not
raw tcp/ip) so VARA just doesn't have the 'chance of getting to full
speed'. However, once you get to things like 'ls -lsR' of a directory
structure, then it ramps up. IF you were to use netcat to transfer files
between the two linux hosts, it should really make VARA shine, being
it's raw TCP/IP.  I am VERY pleased with this at the moment, more to
follow in a few weeks.

There are obviously pros and cons of doing TCP/IP over VARA, you have to
think to yourself 'what is the most efficient way to use VARA' ? UDP
over VARA is an idea as well, one could use AXUDP over VARA I suppose
for an HF wormhole, as ridiculous as it sounds. Practical applications ?
Independence from having to directly use a VARA system to transfer files
or access a system, and using it more as a gateway for external systems
to talk to each other.

Being that Linux is my primary platform (it hosts my JNOS systems), I am
more interested in that part of things.

I am on a road trip next week, but I will try to get a much better
demonstration put together on youtube after that, with a better thought
out writeup with diagrams to show exactly how all of this is configured,
a network flow chart, with all the components and routing and such.

Maiko / VE4KLM