[nos-bbs] using wildcards in expire.dat file

Andreas Ott andreas at naund.org
Thu Jan 27 20:42:12 EST 2022

I checked help/expire but it does not explain how to use wildcards in
mbox_name field, or if this is even supported. The last line in our
expire.dat file has a catch-all of

*       183

so at least that is possible. Maybe it could be like 'perlre (1)' but
I can't tell.

I have the use case of running a week long packet messaging exercise on
our four BBS system and we are using student mailboxes with tactical calls
of the pattern TST001 through TST099 for this.  I would like to expire
a subset of these with a specific timeout, for example all TST00# after
32 days, but all TST2## after 8 days. Please advise what my options are.
If nothing else, we can enumerate all 100 mailboxes one per line.

Thanks, andreas de K6OTT
andreas at naund.org