[nos-bbs] YAPP file transfers possible on JNOS?

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Sep 10 07:43:46 EDT 2021

Greetings,

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021, M Langelaar wrote:

> Those yapp functions are forwarding specific, the use of yapp in forwarding
> is also subtley (?) different then what is used for file transfers.I would
> have
> to write something to do this, sorry. I think BPQ and maybe FBB already
> has that functionality. Curious if anyone else would find this useful ?

    We already have the [U]pload and [D]ownload functions, and since we do
that over an AX.25 connection, it is error free.  Those are meant for TEXT
files primarily, but users can always UUencode their files prior to
uploading if they need to upload a Binary.  And of course, we already have
FTP to transfer any kind of file.

    So I'm not seeing much need for yet another protocol to be written into
JNOS, and an added command to the already rather long "Alphabet-Soup"
command prompt.

    When I need to upload a file, I first move it over to the Linux machine
(Raspberry-Pi) where I am running JNOS then FTP it to ANY JNOS node
anywhere in the AMPRnet network.  No need to upload (using YAPP) and then
have to issue another command to move the file to some other location on
the network.  The beauty and simplicity is in using TCP/IP and the suite
of protocols already built into it :)

    Just my 25 cents...

       --- Jay WB8TKL
           Ypsilanti, Michigan
           o ARRL Michigan Section, Assistant Section Manager