[nos-bbs] Setting up JNOS with a KPC-3 modem

Sky sky at aa6ax.us
Wed Mar 3 00:29:33 EST 2021

We had quite some difficulty setting up KPC3P here (on a friend's JNOS
station) and ended up having the JNOS launch take the KPC3P into KISS
mode as part of autoexec.nos, and then take it out of KISS mode when
JNOS quits. Notice we are using a USB version of the KPC3P which mounts
as ttyUSB1 on our system.

I see your notes on your additions to autoexec.nos, but ours were
somewhat different. Notice we used 4096 instead of 576. ALSO notice you
are defining your KPC3P as 'vhf' but then you are com-ming to 'tnc0'
instead of to the defined 'vhf' port ... perhaps that's the problem?

(This is me and Richard KJ6PTX doing this experiment)

So, in autoexec.nos this is what we added:

# KPC3P stuff
remark KPC3P USB (1200 baud) on port 'kpc3p'
attach asy ttyUSB1 - ax25 kpc3p 4096 256 1200
ifconfig kpc3p description "kpc3p - 1200 baud port"
# Put the KPC3P into KISS mode
#   the pauses are critical -- things may fail
#   sporadically if pauses are too short.
remark "Putting the KPC3P into KISS mode -- "
remark "  this takes about 10 seconds!"
pause 2
comm kpc3p ""
pause 2
comm kpc3p "intface kiss"
pause 2
comm kpc3p "reset"
pause 5

NOTES: Note the port is defined as 'kpc3p' in our case. ALSO NOTE: We
had to kind of wake up the KPC3P by sending one null string first --
this also sets the baud rate I believe. Without this wake up, it would
not work.

then also create a file called jnos.exit within the /jnos directory,
with these contents

sudo echo jnos.exit
# turn off KISS mode on Kantronics TNC
sudo echo -e \\xc0\\xff\\xc0 > /dev/ttyUSB1
echo Turned off KISS mode on Kantronics TNC /dev/ttyUSB1

This file will be executed if JNOS exits abnorbally. Note it is a shell
script.

And lastly create a file onexit.nos with these contents

remark onexit.nos
remark "Turning off KISS mode on the KPC3P"
shell echo -e \\xc0\\xff\\xc0 > /dev/ttyUSB0
shell sudo echo -e \\xc0\\xff\\xc0 > /dev/ttyUSB1

These commands are read and executed by JNOS during a normal exit.

In each case the file sends escape characters to the KPC3P that cause it
to enter its normal mode -- i.e. to bust out of KISS mode.

-Sky aa6ax

"Sky" (Jim Schuyler)
—Amateur Radio AA6AX
http://aa6ax.us/