[nos-bbs] JNOS / WINLINK / AX25

sky@aa6ax sky at aa6ax.us
Fri Jun 4 00:05:09 EDT 2021

Maybe you do have this mastered already!

Am I correct that JNOS only talks to WINLINK CMS via Internet? In examples for forward.bbs I see

    -------
    wl2k
    telnet cms.winlink.org 8772 cronly
    +Callsign :
    *10
    .URCALL
    +Password :
    @10
    .CMSTelnet
    wl2k
    -------
The ‘telnet’ specifies an Internet host. Can I subvert that and have it make a connection on VHF instead? My friend Rob NZ6J provisioned a WINLINK RMS on a station which I can reach via my vhf connection.

So could:
    telnet cms.winlink.org 8772 cronly
Perhaps become?
    ax25 vhf NZ6J-10
And this line…?
    .CMSTelnet
…what does that do? I believe it is sent to the remote system after logging in, but how does the reast of the WINLINK message get transferred? Is that just automatic as part of the “forward.bbs” process? Must be.

So if I just change the forward instructions to go on VHF, do you think it might work?

—Sky