[nos-bbs] More on these RTS based PTT circuits everywhere

M Langelaar maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Sat Jan 30 09:57:21 EST 2021

Last post about this, sorry everyone, but it's been very educational though.

I have a good friend who knows SERIAL I/O as if he has a PhD on it, he
really knows his stuff, having engineered and had an alarm company for
decades with serial and gpio style annunciators and communications.

I didn't really give this much thought, but actually - if you think
about it,
when a program terminates in Windows, the com ports are 'given back'
to windows and put into their 'default state'. The signals from the UART
go through inventors, so really the RTS 'high' should be expected.

One solution perhaps is put a BS170 small signal MOSFET  inverter
between the RTS pin (really RTS negative) and change the logic of
the program software so that rts_active(Yes) actually means OFF,
and rts_active(No) actually means ON, easy enough for the perl
script.

I actually did find ONE drawing online that matches this method, so all of
these RTS PTT circuits (100s of them) online are really not the way to do
it, in our opinion anyways, just my 2 cents worth ...

    circuit can be found here -> http://ganymedeham.blogspot.com/2017/12

The CM108 (Jose sent me a link, you can search it up), pretty cool, and not
as expensive as I originally realized, is an option I will look into.
BUT I actually
do use RTS quite a lot for my other projects, so that is really why I
came up
with the solution.

Maiko / VE4KLM