[nos-bbs] UDP remote control RTS based PTT

M Langelaar maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Fri Jan 29 00:28:58 EST 2021

For anyone with the junk box RTS optoisolator PTT circuit :

Very rundamentary, experimental, works for me. I have quickly updated
the documentation, it will need more work, but it's a start, a summary :

1) install Strawberry PERL on your Windows PC

2) run a perl based UDP listener on your Windows PC

3) it respond to "PTT ON" and "PTT OFF" commands on UDP port 8400,
     raising and lowering RTS on COM1 on the Windows PC itself.

4) xNOS now supports taking the PTT ON and OFF status information
     it gets from the VARA software modem and sending it to this listener,
     so if you have a cheap RTS line PTT (optoisolator) and a serial port,
     then this is how you can trigger your rig.

I have NOT taken into consideration TX delay and related stuff (yet). The
VARA software is new to me. This is just something I slapped together,
since I needed a way to do PTT, and I can't justify to the wife having to
buy yet another interface board or box, yup ...

Maiko / VE4KLM