[nos-bbs] Simplify Incoming Messages

John Kristian jmkristian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:21:09 EST 2021

Can you recommend a way to remove the attachments and decode the main
text, in messages that JNOS receives via SMTP? Perhaps this would be
auxiliary software, which receives the messages first, simplifies them
and then sends them to JNOS.

This would be useful in my application. Most of my users access JNOS as
a BBS, and use software that creates and interprets plain text messages.
This works fine, since they can only send plain text messages. But
sometimes people send messages to JNOS via SMTP from Outlook, MS Mail
etc. Those messages are apt to be encoded, or contain HTML, or have
attachments, none of which the users' software can interpret correctly.

As far as I know, one can't reliably interpret complex messages that are
retrieved from a JNOS mailbox. The headers that identify the MIME type
are missing. The message body is complete, but line breaks are inserted
into long lines. I'm using JNOS version 2.0k.2 (old, I know).

--
Best regards,
John Kristian W6JMK