[nos-bbs] JNOS on Raspberry Pi - Keyboard garbage on start?

Brian Pasternak brianpasternak at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 14:03:37 EST 2020

Hi Jay. Thanks for the reply and suggestions. This won't be a JNOS issue,
but rather a linux or end user issue. The contents of my 'startnos' file is
below. I start jnos per the N8AVX JNOS install instructions, previously
mentioned, using 'sudo ./startnos /dev/tty7'.

My current  'startnos' file:

#!/bin/bash
cd /jnos
rm -f /jnos/spool/mqueue/*.lck 2> /dev/null
rm -f /jnos/spool/mail/*.lck 2> /dev/null
sleep 1
export TZ=EST5EDT
export TERM=linux
exec ./jnos -d /jnos < /dev/tty7 > /dev/tty7 2>&1

Looking at tty7 using conspy shows JNOS prompts running.

I've matched, and have experimented changing the Terminal Keyboard modes in
Putty with no change. However, I am also experiencing the same issue while
SSH from Windows Linux Bash, as well as SSH from my other Linux boxes. I've
built an Ubuntu 18.04 box and installed JNOS and have the same exact issue.

I don't think that I've ever used virtual terminal through Putty, so I
wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong....which is usually the issue.
However, in googling the issue, I've found others having the same issues
while switching to virtual terminals via SSH and when the hit the <ALT>
key, they get a tilde prompt. Most threads have a solution where it was a
terminal keyboard mode setting, but not in my case. I've even changed the
default keyboard on my Pi from 'Generic 104 key' to the keyboard I'm using
which is a Logitech K270. Of course, there was no resolution here.

Again, if I connect a keyboard directly up to the Pi, switching terminals
works fine.

At this point, I have the Pi connected to my HDMI port on my Windows 10 PC
monitor and a wireless keyboard connected, so I just select the input
source on my monitor if I ever need to work on JNOS. For now, this works
for me. Once I learn JNOS and possible get it on the air, then I'll move
over to a dedicated PC.

BTW, if there is anyone in the north Delaware area that is interested in
Packet, and JNOS especially, please feel free to get a hold of my. My
contact info is avail on QRZ. There is a group of us trying to revitalize
packet in this area, and I'd like to get a state-wide network going again.

Best,
Brian, AB3RI