[nos-bbs] JNOS tun - fails to compile

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Jul 20 17:26:04 EDT 2018

Greetings fellopw NOSers,
    It has been a very long time since I have needed to compile JNOS, and I
think I need a little help.

    I did an RSYNC to grab the latest source from Maiko's site.  The
compile goes along fine until it encounters the first incidence of TUN.C
at which point I get a few ERRORS and then it exits without creating an
executable.

    Here is the output of that last lille bitof the compile:

gcc -DUNIX -g3   -DDEBUG -Wall   -c -o devparam.o devparam.c
gcc -DUNIX -g3   -DDEBUG -Wall   -c -o md5.o md5.c
gcc -DUNIX -g3   -DDEBUG -Wall   -c -o tun.o tun.c
In file included from netuser.h:38:0,
                  from tcp.h:26,
                  from iface.h:25,
                  from tun.c:26:
socket.h:85:21: error: expected identifier before numeric constant
  #define SOCK_STREAM 0
                      ^
In file included from /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/sys/socket.h:33:0,
                  from /usr/include/linux/if.h:27,
                  from tun.c:41:
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/socket.h:174:8: error: redefinition of
‘struct sockaddr’
  struct sockaddr
         ^~~~~~~~
In file included from socket.h:22:0,
                  from netuser.h:38,
                  from tcp.h:26,
                  from iface.h:25,
                  from tun.c:26:
sockaddr.h:13:8: note: originally defined here
  struct sockaddr {
         ^~~~~~~~
<builtin>: recipe for target 'tun.o' failed
make: *** [tun.o] Error 1
root at SkyLake2:~/jnos-source#

    The target machine is 64-bit running Debian Stretch/sid
4.13.0-45-generic.

    If I understand this correctly, JNOS brings along the TUN code and it
is not provided by the Linux distro?  I thought that it came with Linux
but each machine I have tested CANNOT find the 'tun' device when I attempt
to do an 'ifconfig tun0 192.168.100.100'.

    I don't find any Step-By-Step on Maiko's site that walks us through
creating/installing a 'tun' device.

    Any help is welcome!

       --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
           Ypsilanti, Michigan

         () ascii ribbon campaign in
         /\ support of plain text e-mail

  o Averaging at least 3 days of MTBWTF!?!?!?
  o The solution for long term Internet growth is IPv6.