[nos-bbs] Changing BIDs

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Sun Jul 15 19:43:05 EDT 2018

Hope everyone is having a decent summer.

For some strange reason, I decided to open up my emails and look at this
particular problem again since it's not a good thing and certainly needs
to be fixed. I'm sorry for ignoring JNOS for a few months, perhaps doing
so was a self preservation mode kicking in, it's been a shitty year !

Anyways, thanks to Paul N6RME for being so meticulous for catching the
original cases of this problem passed on to me by several of you.

On a hunch, I see JNOS is actually lower casing the messageid (BID) on
incoming FBB messages, never even thought to check this, I was focused
just on the part where JNOS creates a proposal.

I'm working on a patch right now for this particular problem, and will
also include changes where JNOS creates the proposal. It will still be
all in uppercase, except for the BID which will be put in as received.

If JNOS generates the BID, of course it will go out in whatever case
the BID is generated. Usually that's uppercase, in my system the code
generates it as NNNN_XXXX where XXXX is my HADDRESS (mbox haddress),
which JNOS will always uppercase when HADDRESS is first set. If I was
not using HADDRESS then XXXX would be my systems hostname (which will
be in whatever case is configured in autoexec.nos, JNOS doesn't touch
the case of the hostname when it's first configured.

Hopefully that will be a good start. I know there was tons of back and
forths about this, in the end had I been paying attention, we could have
saved ourselves all of that ruckus, me bad.

Anyways, stay tuned, probably will post an update later tonight !

Maiko / VE4KLM