[nos-bbs] nos-bbs Digest, Vol 156, Issue 15

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Fri Oct 27 00:09:15 EDT 2017

Brian,

Let's see, you first said:

> ... as per BBS protocol specifications

But:
1998 BBS Specification -- no mention of WP
2012 BBS Specification -- no mention of WP

Then, when asked for a reference, you said:

> F6FBB Documentation. If you're running WP and FBB type 2 compression you should be familiar with it's specs.

But:
FBB forwarding protocol (http://www.f6fbb.org/protocole.html)  -- no mention of WP
I'm not an FBB user, so I haven't read all FBB documentation.

Also:
The JNOS Manual doesn't mention WP except in Appendix F (pg 154 of PDF version), which shows a sample rewrite file treating "wp@*" as a bulletin.
To wit:
    # Now pass specific bulletins on to our areas
    wp@* btrbbs

Maybe it's documented elsewhere, maybe not.  You still haven't given a reference.
But even if it is document somewhere, it's clearly well hidden, and I certainly wouldn't expect ANY JNOS sysop to find it.

> BPQ BBS is the only system which does this.

Also incorrect.

My FBB forwarding partner sends as type "B":
    Wed Oct 25 20:45:10 2017  x.x.x.x:40996 (yyyy) - MBOX (n6rme) incoming proposal FA B LW3DPA WW WP 14520_LW3DPA 487
    Wed Oct 25 20:45:10 2017  x.x.x.x:40996 (yyyy) - MBOX (n6rme) incoming proposal FA B LW1EAA WW WP 1883-LW1EAA 191
(Perhaps this is caused by the originator using type "B".  But the point is that the vast majority of what I see coming through is type B.  In fact, as far as I can tell from grepping the logs on a couple of our machines, it's *ALL* type B.)

And, my JNOS systems were doing it too, since I had previously configured them similar to the above JNOS Manual example.

> The reason you don't find them useful is because SB WP@* is never
> processed by the White Pages internal server with possibly the exclusion
> of BPQ BBS.

Also incorrect.
We don't find the whole concept/functionality of white pages to be useful.

You might want to withhold your arrogant comments about what others should know, at least until you get your own facts straight.

Michael
N6MEF