[nos-bbs] RESENDING Re: Sending mail to regular addresses via Winlink

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Thu Jun 23 20:54:43 EDT 2016

Hi Peter,

I got the first one.  I really don't have anything to add.

I sympathize with what you want to do and it's something that we had to deal with ourselves.  To summarize:

1) It may not be legal -- at least for inbound traffic from the Internet to JNOS via the radio link between Winlink RMS and JNOS.  This is what prevented us from doing what you're describing.  But you might as well check with the FCC.  Maybe they've changed their minds in the last 6 years.

2) It may not be allowed or appreciated by the Winlink guys.  They may apply some level (however small) of trust to submissions from the RMS.  SMTP submission with no ability to filter or enforce policy may break their trust model.  Then again, they may be set up to not trust anything inbound, in which case they might not care.  But if you're going to use their server, it's only right to check with them first.  After all, it's their server that will get blacklisted if they send out spam.

3) There are better alternatives to deal with either #1 (Part 15 between islands and mainland, or maybe 4.9 GHz if the traffic is only for public safety) or #2 (JNOS + modern SMTP server on the mainland, or Outpost submission on the islands).  I understand limited resources and doing what you can with what you have.  But if you find that #1 or #2 are problems, then there are alternatives that work well.

Michael
N6MEF