[nos-bbs] Bleeding add-on errors

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Apr 27 00:36:36 EDT 2016

Thanks Bob.  Nice catch!

This may be related:

I don't have bleeding(1 or2) on production machines.  But I have bleeding on one machine and bleeding2 on another machine, both of which talk to production machines.  Not long after upgrading one of them to bleeding2, two of our five production machines had a weird problem.  The area that holds ww bulletins grew to an enormous size (6+ GB, when it is usually 1-2 MB).  When indexing occurred, the area.new file was about the same size, filling up the partition.  I have JNOS is in its own partition, specifically to mitigate issues like this.  So the rest of the machine continue to function and I could get in and see what was happening.

Looking at the messages in the bulletin ww area, many had the same content repeated over and over many, many times, making some messages very, very long.  Attempts to delete problem messages caused JNOS to crash.  And, being that these were production machines, I elected to just delete the .txt, .new and .idx files for that area in order to restore operations quickly.

I've been monitoring closely since then and the problem hasn't returned.  But the timing was curious, since I haven't seen anything like that in 6+ years.

Just speculation.  But perhaps the corrupted From line caused the index to get confused, leading to other problems...

I guess I should roll back those two machines to 2.0j.7v until we hear more from Maiko about what's next.

Michael
N6MEF