[nos-bbs] secret "." option?

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Sun Apr 24 18:54:17 EDT 2016

Is there some super-secret login option for JNOS that uses "." before the
callsign?

After switching to bleeding2, I started seeing login failures from my BPQ
partner.  He is trying to log in with a "." (dot/period) before his
callsign:  ".ag6qo"

He pointed me to this web page:

http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/TelnetServer.htm

See the section labeled "Outward Connect for BBS Forwarding".  The last
sentence reads (with spelling corrections []):

"If you are connecting to an FBB BBS and you want to use compressed
forwarding, you must [precede] the [User] with a [dot], eg .g8bpq. This will
tell FBB to use a [transparent] TCP session instead of a Telnet session. It
is not needed for other systems."

The fact that the "." was allowed up until now makes me wonder if it
actually served some purpose.  So, is it a hidden (undocumented) option for
JNOS?  Or was it mistakenly ignored?  (I say mistakenly, since ".ag6qo" is
NOT a login listed in ftpusers.)

Thanks,

Michael

N6MEF