[nos-bbs] mbox fbb 2 errors with FBB

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Sat Apr 9 17:57:39 EDT 2016

> So the N 1 switch can ONLY FORCE the current
> protocol implementation and so the B1F.
[Michael Fox]

Gus, that statement is incorrect.

Apparently you have ignored the actual logs and traces of real connections that I provided so far.  To summarize:

A single FBB machine (N6RME) is set up with links to three JNOS machines.  The FBB machine is configured with different N values for each of the JNOS machines.  One is configured with "N 0", one with "N 1" and one with "N 2".

When N6RME connects to each of the three JNOS machines, the SID it displays is different and the behavior is different.

N6RME(FBB-"N 0") connects to W2XSC(JNOS-"mbox fbb 2"):
-- N6RME SID = [FBB-7.05f-AHM$]
-- Forwarding is old-style, non-FBB text forwarding

N6RME(FBB-"N 1") connects to N6MEF(JNOS-"mbox fbb 2"):
-- N6RME SID = [FBB-7.05f-AFHM$]
-- Forwarding is plain-ascii FBB (up to 5 proposals at a time, no compression) -- see previous email for log

N6RME(FBB-"N 2") connects to W6XSC(JNOS-"mbox fbb 2"):
-- N6RME SID = [FBB-7.05f-ABFHM$]
-- Forwarding is FBB with binary compression (and JNOS reports errors) -- see other previous email for log and trace
-- I can't tell whether it's v0 or v1 compression, but the SID says BF, which would be v0 compression.

Note that NONE of them produce B1F!

I have asked the FBB sysop to set up a 4th link so we can try additional N values without interrupting the traces for the other three.  I don't know if he'll be willing to do that or not.  If you run the FBB machine that you showed in your previous email, then perhaps you'd like to set up a link with me so we can test.  If so, email me off list with the details.

> The following second question/exposition  has
> nothing to do with as stated above. Furthermore,
> we can't relate each other different incommensurable
> and dissimilar values :)
[Michael Fox]

Also incorrect.

I provided clear evidence that "N 1" does NOT produce compression, at least for inbound connections from the FBB machine that connects to me.  So if you are seeing something different, please show that.

Michael
N6MEF
n6mef at mefox.org