[nos-bbs] mbox fbb 2 = binary compressed protocol version 0 or 1?

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Tue Apr 5 23:00:00 EDT 2016

Here's some additional information on mbox fbb 2.  This shows the telnet log
from the FBB station for connections with JNOS in both directions.

##### W6XSC (mbox fbb 2) connects outbound to N6RME (FBB) via telnet.

#### W6XSC agrees to do B1F.  Can it really do FBB compression version 1?

[PORT 4 (TELNETB) -  8 - W6XSC-0] 20:52 Connect

[FBB-7.05f-AB1FHMR$]

N6RME Mailbox, QTH Placerville.

(2) N6RME BBS>

[JNOS-2.0j.7v.XSC64.1-B1FHIM$]

FF

FQ

[PORT 4 (TELNETB) -  8 - W6XSC-0] 20:52 Disconnect

##### N6RME (FBB) connects inbound to W6XSC (mbox fbb 2) via telnet.

##### W6XSC announces it's only capable of BF (FBB compression version 0).

[PORT 4 (TELNETB) - 10 - W6XSC-0] 21:01 Connect

[JNOS-2.0j.7v.XSC64.1-BFHIM$]

[FBB-7.05f-ABFHM$]

FA P VE2JOS WW SYSOP 46584_VE2JOS 1114

FA P N1URO WW SYSOP 15583_N1URO 776

[PORT 4 (TELNETB) - 10 - W6XSC-0] 21:01 Disconnect

As I understand it, W6XSC (JNOS) is making an error.

Either it is capable of FBB compression version 0 or version 1.

Outbound:  If JNOS is only capable of version 0 (SID letters BF), then it
should respond with BF, not B1F when connecting outbound.

Inbound:  If JNOS is indeed capable of version 1 (SID letters B1F), then it
should answer incoming connections with B1F, not BF.

. At least that's how I understand it.

Hope that helps.

Michael

N6MEF