[nos-bbs] mbox fbb setting

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 1 14:02:31 EDT 2016

Michael..

From Maiko’s manual:
mbox fbb [0 | 1 | 2]
Display or set the flag which enables FBB batched-style forwarding (1) or FBB
compressed and batched forwarding (2), or standard WA7MBL-style forwarding (0).
The setting is used to determine which forwarding capabilities we proposed to a
another station.  The default value is determined by whether JNOS was compiled
with FBBCMP and/or FBBFWD #define'd.  In any case, the forwarding method
actually used is the intersection of capabilities of both stations involved in
forwarding. Batched forwarding allows the forwarding direction to be reversed
every 5 messages.  Compressed FBB forwarding requires a completely transparent

I’ve never used fbb=1, just zero and two.  Logging doesn’t really reveal much other than what logged session was going on when jnos quit unexpectedly.  It was invariably during a forward session with a station running an fbb bbs and usually the same station.  When it does happen, Jnos exits with strange terminal behaviour that requires ‘resetting’ the terminal from the Linux command line. I usually (after a reboot)  change 'mbox fbb' from 2 to 0.
Now, understand that this is all on a raspberry pi on which I compiled the binary from source code.  I don’t know if this happens with i486x systems or not, I just cannot remember *(memory is almost 80 yrs. old). Ken’s system is also a Pi.
Best,
j.