[nos-bbs] date written to index - should we force it to local time zone ?

Gustavo Ponza g.ponza at tin.it
Sun Nov 15 09:56:13 EST 2015

On 11/15/2015 03:04 AM, Maiko Langelaar wrote:

> An interesting issue directly related to the issue of BBS forwarded
> messages
> having a different time zone than the local BBS, and causing possible
> expiry
> problems (if expire future is enabled).
>
> Whenever a message comes in, JNOS updates the 'date' field in the
> index file
> to match the Date field of that message. The time zone unfortunately
> is not
> known in the index, it's a pure numeric field. So if an incoming
> message is
> 7 hours into the future, is there any reason why we need to set the
> 'date'
> in our local index file to that same 7 hours ? I hope I'm making sense.
> So here is the question :
>
>   Can anyone give me a reason why we should NOT force the 'date' in the
>   index file to be written using the local timezone of the JNOS system.
>
> Maiko

If I correctly understand the question about the related problem
it is a lack/fault the missed incoming *local time* (because, for me,
using the *time zone* may be a bit confusing) in the index file.

If so, the 'local date' and the 'local time' (i.e. the incoming 'local time'
read on our machine) should be implemented.

As shown below, for the same msg received in xfbb and in JNOS2,
note that the JNOS2 reports even more data with respect to xfbb
when we read the message in verbose mode.

Now, concerning the expire process, the JNOS2 'expire.dat', like to
the other counterpart 'epurmess.ini' in (x)fbb, express the expiration
time is in Days, but the effective expiration/deletion may/should
happen *only* after the 'days+localtime' incoming date.

Then, even if the system receives today a msg with a wrong
original date, say December 25, 2015, but the real incoming
Date/Time is 1115/0435 (local) is registered on our index file,
then if I setup 10 days to expire that kinda message, it means
that the expiration date would be possible only after the real
1125/0435 (local) date.

On the other face of the medal, assuming the 10 days setup for
our message area, if the system receive a msg more old of 10
days (or at least after a given predeterminable past date) it
should react by marking that msg as old (i.e. the BX, PX state
setup in xfbb) and then deleted at next time expiry process.

73, gus

--------------------
(0) IR0AAB BBS>
ll 5

Msg#   TSLD  Size To    @Route  From   Date/Time Subject [LC-choice: *]
3414   BF    7073 SAT   @AMSAT  CX2SA  1115/0435 ANS-319 AMSAT News
Service Wee
3410   BN    2983 DXNEWS        REC-RA 1115/1032 [QSO Today] WA5BDU
3409   BF    3767 WETTER at DL     DL9GJ  1115/1012 WX Burgrieden
2015-11-15 09-1
3408   BF    3819 WETTER at DL     DL9GJ  1115/1007 WX Burgrieden
2015-11-15 08-2
3407   BF    3234 WETTER at DL     DB0LHR 1115/1007 PR-WX-Stn Lahr JN38WI
(0) IR0AAB BBS>
--------------------------

v 3414
>From        : CX2SA
To          : SAT at AMSAT
Type/Status : BF
Date/Time   : 15-Nov-15 04:35
BID (MID)   : ANS-319.01
Message #   : 3414
Subject     : ANS-319 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins

(This message has been read 1   times so far in this BBS).

R:151115/0330Z @:UA6ADV.H.KRD.RUS.EU #:7903 [Holmsk] Pactor-3 $:ANS-319.01
R:151115/0328Z @:7M3TJZ.13.JNET1.JPN.AS #:5158 [Sayama] $:ANS-319.01
R:151115/0328Z @:CX2SA.SAL.URY.SOAM #:33678 [Salto] FBB7.00e $:ANS-319.01