[nos-bbs] JNOS + ax25 stack = a necessity or not?

Miroslav Skoric skoric at eunet.rs
Sat Jun 13 12:30:09 EDT 2015

On 06/12/2015 05:25 PM, Boudewijn (Bob) Tenty wrote:

> If you want to inter-connect Jnos, Winlink/RMS, BPQ, Xnet, FBB, URONode,
> etc. over ax25, you will need the Linux 25 stack
> It's also the advantages of other Linux services and tools with more
> possibilities you want to provide.
>
> Bob VE3TOK

Bob, others, thank you!

Actually, I remember that few years ago I had in the home LAN a
non-AX25stack machine running only JNOS, where JNOS was talking with
another machine (running Linuxnode/FBB) by using only AXIP in between,
or something like that. In those days the JNOS machine was supposed to
serve as a simple JNOS bbs for incoming radio users. Now I have been
thinking on configuring JNOS again, but to add handling Winlink/RMS
mails that reside in the third machine:

                                  Internet
                                 gateway &
                                  firewall

                +----------+     +--------+     +----------+
VHF radio <--->| JNOS box |<--->|FPAC/FBB|<--->| FPAC/RMS |
                +----------+     +--------+     +----------+

So, I wondered if JNOS could communicate with RMS without ax25 stack,
and it looks that I need to install it now.

Nevertheless, I was used to install Bernard's packages:

libax25-0.0.12-rc2.patched_f6bvp.tar.bz2
ax25-apps-0.0.8-rc2.patched_f6bvp.tar.bz2
ax25-tools-0.0.10-rc2.patched_f6bvp.tar.bz2

... and recently I found some updated versions on
https://code.google.com/p/linuxax25/ so now I wonder if those versions
are better than the Bernard's ones, or maybe those at
http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/Main_Page. Any idea?

Regards,

Misko