[nos-bbs] BPQ telnet problem

Michael E Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Sun Jan 4 02:42:39 EST 2015

I'm trying to set up a telnet entry for a BPQ BBS in forward.bbs.  Before
doing that, I'm trying to connect using the telnet command at the JNOS
console prompt.

What I've discovered is this:

I can telnet to the remote system just fine from linux or from windows.  I
get a  "user:" prompt, enter my username (callsign) followed by return, get
the "password:" prompt, enter my password followed by return, and it logs me
in.

But I have difficulty telnetting from the JNOS console prompt.  If I try to
telnet from the jnos console, the remote end responds with "user:".  Good.
Then I type in my user name and hit return.  But the cursor goes to the
beginning of the same line, not the next line.  And I can't log in.

Just playing around, I discovered that if I set "eol null" before trying to
telnet from the console prompt, the login proceeds correctly.  Just by
playing around, I found I could also set "eol standard", and then, whenever
a return is needed, I type <RETURN> followed by <CTRL><RETURN> and that
works the same way.

1st question:  Can someone explain what is going on?  i.e. What is the
problem?  Why is it happening with JNOS and not with linux or windows?

Next, I tried the following forwarding entry (<> indicates a substitution
for the real value):

<bbscall>

tcp <hostname.domain> <port>

+user:

.<MYUSERID>

+password:

.<MYPASSWD>

<area-name>

<area-name>

----

Because of the above problem, it never completes the login and eventually
times out.

2nd question:  How do I configure the equivalent of "eol null" in
forward.bbs

3rd question:  I know that sometimes the "telpac" option is needed, such as
with FBB systems.  But telpac is not documented in the manual or the release
history on the website.  What does it do?  When is it needed?  (It doesn't
help in the above case).

Michael

N6MEF