[nos-bbs] linFBB outgoing compressed fwd to JNOS - a discovery

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Feb 10 14:52:45 EST 2015

I have had people trying to forward to JNOS from linFBB for quite some
time, and in one case we've seen consistent protocol errors, and I've
even gone to the extreme of doing hexdumps of tcp traces right down to
the SOH, STX, and ETX, and up till now I always thought data corruption
on the part of linFBB ...

BUT, now I see that using 'N 1' in forward.sys seems to fix the issue,
it is indeed doing FBB forwarding on my test systems here. So then I go
back to the FBB documentation, and I never realized that 'N n' can have
multiple values, the default obviously not compatible with JNOS.

   N (number)
    Assigns the standard forward protocol (MBL/RLI) for the specified BBS.
     1 = FBB forwarding allowed
     2 = FBB+BIN forwarding
     4 = FBB+BIN+Resume
     8 = XFWD
     Ex: N 15 = Sum of all protocols (default)

I know some people use 'N 0' for text only forwarding which works, but it
would seem on my test linFBB if I use 'N 1', then FBB forwarding is working
properly. I'm guessing the systems failing to forward (FBB) with JNOS are
those that have no 'N n' entry in their forward.sys or are not using 0 or 1.

Give it a try please folks, and let me know how it goes.

Maiko