[nos-bbs] Status update, fldigi, and soundmodem

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Apr 17 13:24:24 EDT 2015

No, I'm not dead ! I've gotten the emails, it's all fine.

I apologize to those who have not received 'timely' responses
to their questions or requests or bug reports or whatever.

The past months have basically forced me to put myself into
a state of self-preservation, it's only human, it happens.

1. I have a back log of 'bug' reports to deal with. It might
    be helpful if people could tell me which ones are very bad
    and give me a priority of what they would like fixed asap.

    Please don't resend the bug details, just the priorities.

2. Something I should have done last year, but I have started
    to work on a fldigi interface. As of this morning, I actually
    have JNOS talking to a linux version of FLDIGI, and I have
    outgoing connect attempts working, pretty neat. Configuring
    it will not be that difficult, so far, it looks like this :

     attach axudp vhf 256 <ipaddr of fldigi> ve4klm 10000 10000

     attach fldigi vhf

    And then there will be some support commands to switch modes
    and other stuff on the fldigi software modem, for later.

3. I've ditched my TNC hardware, all of it has become very old,
    the caps are probably gone, the filters out of alignment, and
    so forth. My radio port is now pure 'soundmodem' by Thomas
    Sailer. The latest version is actually found at this site :

      http://gna.org/projects/soundmodem

    Rock solid, and far superior to what my old TNC hardware was
    giving me. I wish I had done this years ago ! I kid you not.

    My development system of 10.5 years and running Slackware 9.1
    all that time, has been 'upgraded' to more modern PC hardware
    and I am now running Scientific Linux 7.1 (reasonably modern).

    I would like to switch to the latest Slackware at some point,
    but Scientific Linux 7.1 was convenient and it's what I use at
    work for most of my systems - call it the familiarity excuse.

That's all for now. Thanks for all your patience (if you still
have any left that is). Waiting for the laughing to die down.

Maiko