[nos-bbs] X-BBS-Msg-Type: E Recent Messages

Charles Hargrove n2nov at n2nov.net
Mon Sep 15 20:27:35 EDT 2014

Since this problem with "X-BBS-Msg-Type: E" messages became an issue a few
weeks ago, I have been doing some research of the various FBB bulletin types
and how JNOS deals with it.  With the help of Ted, VE3CGH, we seem to have it
narrowed down to a simple procedure.

If you have "mbox fbb 3" in your autoexec.nos file, create an "mbox nob2f"
entry for each callsign that you forward with.  The only time that you would
not do this is if you have WL2K in your forward.bbs file.  The reason is that
if you negotiate B2F with someone, it says that you will send or receive a
bulletin that is compressed and encapsulated as this is the normal Winlink
protocol.  What seems to happen is that you will receive the bulletin, strip
off any field after the @ and then add the from data of the station that sent
you the message.  If the original message came from g4apl at gb7cip and it is
being forwarded to me by f8coj at f8coj, then my system strips off the gb7cip
and changes the from address to g4apl at f8coj.bbs!  This will definitely cause
any SR on my end to attempt to send the message to the wrong BBS.  Also,
there are other downstream BBS stations that don't like "X-BBS-Msg-Type: E".

Since Ted and I made the changes, the problem goes away.  I have also passed
the word to other forwarding partners of mine, that were attempting to pass
a bulletin with B2F enabled, to also make the changes on their system.  Let's
see if this solves it for everyone.

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Net Mon. @ 8:30PM 147.360/107.2 PL
http://www.nyc-arecs.org and http://www.nyc-skywarn.org

NY-NBEMS Net Saturdays @ 10AM & USeast-NBEMS Net Wednesdays @ 7PM
on 7.036 Mhz USB/1500 hz waterfall spot; Olivia 8/500 check-ins

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls topped
by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

"Molann an obair an fear" - Irish Saying
(The work praises the man.)

"No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it
provides, it can never take the place of volunteers." - Ronald Reagan