[nos-bbs] mailbox.usr and mailbox.inf file

Boudewijn (Bob) Tenty bobtenty at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:02:59 EDT 2014

On 14-10-24 11:49 PM, Michael E Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> You will also see calls appended with an underscore in area.usr and
> these indicate errors mostly with a bbs,
> a message is not forwarded because something goes wrong with a
> transmission, etc.  The underscore just means
> something like, forget what I have said.
>
> Hmm.  Not following you there.   So if I see an entry in mailbox.usr
> like “callsign_ 0”, where “callsign” is a BBS but mailbox is not an
> area that I forward to him, what does that mean?

You will see that only with bbs callsigns normally and with those areas
you forward after some errors.

 > Only the id of the last message is written, so it doesn't overwrite
after each message. Other stuff is kept somewhere else.

> O.K.  But that still doesn’t explain the (real) scenario I presented
> below.   Specifically:
>
> The message numbers rollover at some point as shown below.  So when
> that happens, it would seem that the entry in .usr needs some way to
> know that smaller message numbers have actually not been read.  And
> that is the problem.  The user is being told “0 new” when, in fact, he
> is sure that he hasn’t read at least the last one

They also rollover if you remove spool/mqueue/sequence.seq file but
normally rollover takes a very long time.
I think I believe with you are seeing.

Erase the wrk file of a public area or rename it to something else. All
messages in that area will be marked as unread and a new wrk file will
be made.
Read for instance the 3 rd or whatever message and only that message
Logout,login and switch to that area and you'll see that not only that
message is
marked as read but all messages before it.

Is that what you are seeing?

> That would be nice if I were a C programmer!  ;-)
>
> Michael

Bob VE3TOK

Bob VE3TOK