[nos-bbs] Max message size, quotas?

Michael E Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Thu Feb 13 11:41:40 EST 2014

Thanks Ray.

Yes, a common (and really slick) packet user client is Outpost, written by Jim Oberhofer, KN6PE (www.outpostpm.org).  Outpost currently imposes a 10 KB limit.

And that’s actually the stimulus for the question.  Jim contacted me because he’s going to increase the message size limit in Outpost.  Currently, Winlink supports up to 1.2 MB (I believe).  Jim tested message sizes up to 2.6 MB with JNOS without a problem.  So we were just wondering if there was a limit?

Also, the opportunity to send really large messages opens the system to the possibility of a denial of service attack or even an accidental filling of the disk (or partition where JNOS is operating).  So that was the reason for my question about mailbox quotas.

Since I can’t find anything in the manual about these two questions and since I’ve seen no other responses, I have to assume that:  a) no one knows what the limit is, and b) there’s no way to set a mailbox quota.

Michael

N6MEF