[nos-bbs] Bulletin flood handling

Michael E Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Sun Aug 10 17:35:18 EDT 2014

O.K.  Understood.

Of course, the problem with lumping different floods into a single
topic-oriented bulletin area (as it seems many/most? *NOS folks do), is that
it basically ignores the flood designator.

For a simplistic example, I'll use the USA since I'm not familiar with
regional flood designators elsewhere.  And I'll limit the example to three
flood designators:  @nca (Northern California), @usa, @ww

For simplicity, let's say I have a three forwarding partners:
-- one in Northern California (they should receive anything with floods:
@nca, @usa, @ww)
-- one somewhere else in the USA (they should receive anything with floods:
@usa, @ww)
-- one somewhere else in the world (they should receive anything with flood:
@ww)

And let's say my rewrite file contains:

topic@*	topic

That means that bulletins addressed to "topic" and "topic at nca" and
"topic at usa" and "topic at ww" will all appear in the bulletin area "topic".
That's great for my users because they get things sorted into topic areas
and because all of the above floods apply to my users.

But if I forward the "topic" area to others, then I create the following
problems:
-- everyone gets a copy of bulletins addressed to "topic", even though they
are only intended for the local machine
-- everyone gets a copy of bulletins addressed to "topic at nca", even though
they are only intended for NorCal machines
-- everyone gets a copy of bulletins addressed to 'topic at usa", even though
they are only intended for USA machines.

Therefore, there is "leakage" of bulletins outside their intended flood
areas.  And if my forwarding partners follow the same approach, then all
bulletins for "topic" end up being flooded as if they were addressed to
"topic at ww"!

Bob Tenty did say he organized bulletins by flood, not by topic, so that
wouldn't create (or propagate) this problem.  But, from what I can tell,
sorting by topic and ignoring the flood designator seems to be what a lot of
*NOS folks are doing.

Michael
N6MEF