[nos-bbs] How open *.txt.gz files of the list

Bob Tenty bobtenty at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 15:18:34 EDT 2013

It is OK if you download it with wget  but if you
download it directly with your browser (Chrome or Firefox, etc.)
the following happens as I have discovered..

I have noticed that the byte count of the (g) zip file was higher I you
download it with the browser by clicking on that link.

It is double zipped up!

if you gunzip  2013-October.txt.gz you will get  2013-October.txt
but this is also a (g)zip file internally.

I gave it an .gz extension and (g)unzipped it again and now I received
readable text.

2013-October.txt.gz  file downloaded with wget: 19121 bytes
2013-Ocotober.txt.gz downloaded ("click") with browser: 19144 bytes.

I compared my browsers with the ANS archives at
http://amsat.org/pipermail/ans/
who are also using gzip and there is nothing wrong with them.
So nothing wrong here.

73,

Bob VE3TOK