[nos-bbs] How open *.txt.gz files of the list

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 01:12:32 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Bob Tenty <bobtenty at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used gedit and you will get a warning that there was a problem
> with opening the text file because of invalid characters but it opened
> it anyhow with Character encoding UTF-8 and did give you the option
> to retry it with another character encoding Western (ISO-8859-15)
> but the text is nonsense with both encodings.
>
> I tried it also with nano and the "converted from a MAC format" is by that
> program.
>
> I just emailed WA7NWP about it who is the administrator of that list.

I used the windows system to copy the url of the Oct file.    Then on
a linux box I downloaded the archive:

  wget http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/nos-bbs/2013-October.txt.gz

Then I decompressed it:

  gzip -d 2013-October.txt.gz

 Then I edited it:

  vi 2013-October.txt

It looks like a standard Email archive in VI...     Was it a different
file that's having these issues?

73
Bill,  WA7NWP