[nos-bbs] email gateway issue

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Thu Mar 21 23:24:53 EDT 2013

yes

From: nos-bbs-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:nos-bbs-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf
Of Don Moore
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:23 PM
To: TAPR xNOS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nos-bbs] email gateway issue

Do you have the following line set in your autoexec.nos?

domain suffix ampr.org.

73, don - ve3zda

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Michael Fox - N6MEF <n6mef at mefox.org>
wrote:

I discovered a problem with JNOS not properly completing the address of
messages sent to the gateway.  Here's the situation.

Let's say I use SC to send a message to joe at ham.org, with a copy to n6mef.
That is, the message goes to an email address with a copy to a local packet
user.  Note that the local packet user address does not include any "@...".

The message is sent to the email gateway for handling the email.  The
addresses that the email gateway gets from JNOS are:

 To: joe at ham.org, Cc: n6mef.

The problem is that n6mef has no domain attached.  The receiving mail
gateway, depending on how it strictly it is configured may even reject the
message because the recipients are not fully qualified.  Or the message may
be dropped by the destination mail server at ham.org.  Or the destination
mail server may add it's own domain, resulting in n6mef at ham.org.  This is
what happens at yahoo and other places.  Now, if someone tries to reply all,
they end up with bounces because n6mef at ham.org doesn't exist.

>From my understanding of the SMTP standards, only fully qualified addresses
should be passed between mail systems.  In other words, the JNOS system
should add its local hostname.domain to the local part (n6mef) before
sending it along, so that the message is sent as:  To: Joe at ham.com, CC:
n6mef at bbscall.ampr.org  (or whatever).

Is there maybe a configuration option I'm missing that would tell JNOS to
add it's hostname to non-fqdn addresses?

Thanks,

Michael

N6MEF