[nos-bbs] Winlink and JNOS sharing the same COM port

Jose Angel Amador Fundora amador at electrica.cujae.edu.cu
Sat Feb 9 10:28:52 EST 2013

OK Bob, thanks for the info. I have never run Winlink here, so I am
somehow uninformed about it. I just have been a user with Airmail.

I ran a BBS at the Technical University Club until 2004 (CO9BQQ), plus
my own here at home until 2004. I was away for some time and all
crumbled, I got disenchanted and that was it. It ran wonderfully wth
very little resources but was very well connected with worldwide
forwarding links, It was a very nice experience.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

El 08/02/2013 20:00, Bob Tenty escribió:
> Hi Jose,
>
> What is used for Winlink normally at linux is called RMS (Linux RMS
> gateway) and the ax25d daemon is just listening for that particular
> callsign + SSID and
> after a request starts the rms node what just connects to one of the
> Winlink WL2K CMS servers.
>
> On 13-02-08 05:41 PM, Jose Angel Amador Fundora wrote:
>>
>> I used net2kiss in a pure Linux system (RH 5.2, 1998-2004) ) running
>> XFBB, JNOS, DXNET and ax.25 kernel services for web and ftp, on a
>> 486-66 with 4 MB RAM and CGA video, using two KPC-2, one for HF and
>> another for 2 meters and I can tell it worked VERY WELL. JNOS was
>> running its own stack, which I feel is better and less prone to
>> repeats than the native Linux. The details escape to me now, I would
>> have to look for my old configuration scripts. I just wonder how are
>> you going to plug Winlink in this scheme (maybe using a second
>> Windows computer and a kiss link).
>>
>> I assume that traffic was queued and happily alternated between FBB
>> and JNOS sharing the common TNC and radio. Even more, I used JNOS
>> with a window of 736 bits for some time while FBB was using the usual
>> AX.25 255 bits sized packets without problems. Even more, if the
>> AX.25 user was too much in a hurry and tried to hog the link, timed
>> out quicker and was disconnected.
>>
>> Do your homework, it works!
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Jose, CO2JA

MSc Ing. José Angel Amador Fundora
Profesor Auxiliar
Departamento de Telecomunicaciones y Telemática
Facultad de Ingeniería Eléctrica, CUJAE
Calle 114 % 11901 e/ Rotonda y Ciclovía,
Marianao 11500, La Habana, Cuba

48 Aniversario del Instituto Superior Politecnico Jose Antonio Echeverria, Cujae
Una obra de la Revolucion Cubana | 2 de diciembre de 1964 | http://cujae.edu.cu

Consulte la enciclopedia colaborativa cubana. http://www.ecured.cu