[nos-bbs] Winlink and JNOS sharing the same COM port

Jose Angel Amador Fundora amador at electrica.cujae.edu.cu
Fri Feb 8 17:41:34 EST 2013

I used net2kiss in a pure Linux system (RH 5.2, 1998-2004) ) running
XFBB, JNOS, DXNET and ax.25 kernel services for web and ftp, on a 486-66
with 4 MB RAM and CGA video, using two KPC-2, one for HF and another for
2 meters and I can tell it worked VERY WELL. JNOS was running its own
stack, which I feel is better and less prone to repeats than the native
Linux. The details escape to me now, I would have to look for my old
configuration scripts. I just wonder how are you going to plug Winlink
in this scheme (maybe using a second Windows computer and a kiss link).

I assume that traffic was queued and happily alternated between FBB and
JNOS sharing the common TNC and radio. Even more, I used JNOS with a
window of 736 bits for some time while FBB was using the usual AX.25 255
bits sized packets without problems. Even more, if the AX.25 user was
too much in a hurry and tried to hog the link, timed out quicker and was
disconnected.

Do your homework, it works!

73,

Jose, CO2JA

El 08/02/2013 15:52, Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI escribió:
> Bob, how does this handle packet collisions, i.e. if Winlink Linux RMS
> Gateway and JNOS are requesting the TNC at the same time?  Does one
> get priority and when it is done, the other get a clear to send type
> of thing?
>
> Thanks.  This sounds incredibly simple.  I know better than to assume
> it's THAT easy though.
>
> Mike, AA9VI
>

>     Message: 1
>     Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 12:48:24 -0800 (PST)
>     From: "Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI" <aa9vi at yahoo.com
>     </mc/compose?to=aa9vi at yahoo.com>>
>     To: nos-bbs at tapr.org </mc/compose?to=nos-bbs at tapr.org>
>     Subject: [nos-bbs] Winlink and JNOS sharing the same COM port
>     <1360270104.59212.YahooMailClassic at web122004.mail.ne1.yahoo.com
>     </mc/compose?to=1360270104.59212.YahooMailClassic at web122004.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>>
>
>     Is it possible for Winlink RMS Gateway and JNOS to share the same
>     COM port? ?If so, how do you do it? ?We want to reuse the
>     digipeater infrastructure around Chicago and not have to use two
>     separate frequencies if this is possible. ?
>     Mike, AA9VI
>
>     -------------- next part --------------
>     An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

>     Hi Mike,
>

>     Use "net2kiss"  in linux.
>
>     Example:
>
>     kissattach /dev/ttyS1 1k2 10.0.0.1    ..generates interface ax0
>
>     net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptys8
>
>     Attach the ttys8 side in jnos. (attach asy ttys8.......etc)
>

>     73,
>
>     Bob (Boudewijn) VE3TOK
>
>     On 13-02-07 03:48 PM, Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI wrote:
>     > Is it possible for Winlink RMS Gateway and JNOS to share the
>     same COM
>     > port?  If so, how do you do it?  We want to reuse the digipeater
>     > infrastructure around Chicago and not have to use two separate
>     > frequencies if this is possible.
>     >
>     > Mike, AA9VI
>     >
>     >
>     >

MSc Ing. José Angel Amador Fundora
Profesor Auxiliar
Departamento de Telecomunicaciones y Telemática
Facultad de Ingeniería Eléctrica, CUJAE
Calle 114 % 11901 e/ Rotonda y Ciclovía,
Marianao 11500, La Habana, Cuba

48 Aniversario del Instituto Superior Politecnico Jose Antonio Echeverria, Cujae
Una obra de la Revolucion Cubana | 2 de diciembre de 1964 | http://cujae.edu.cu

Consulte la enciclopedia colaborativa cubana. http://www.ecured.cu