[nos-bbs] Telnet forwarding with JNOS

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Mon Nov 19 11:50:57 EST 2012

Maiko,

I'm not enough of a telnet guru to know if that approach is "out to lunch"
or not.  I would think maybe you'd want to only use that during forwarding,
and not during a "normal", user initiated telnet session?  Anyway, I'm
trying to get some network connections finished and distributed to our JNOS
network before a deadline later this month.   But I'll try to fit it in.

But as I pointed out in my earlier message, there seems to also be a mistake
in the FBB 1 option.  I know others have told me it doesn't work right and
I've seen the FBB BBS complain about protocol error when I have FBB 1
configured.  And when using FBB 2, I occasionally see a "protocole error
(3)" go by (my spelling is correct).  (When JNOS is talking to an FBB
station and the FBB station says there's an error in the FBB protocol, I
tend to believe the FBB station.)  ;-)  So I'm thinking the FBB code itself
may need some work.

Also, I have a rule in my Linux firewall set to capture attempts to open a
new TCP session without the SYN flag.  It's catching such packets coming
from JNOS.  So there seems to be some telnet issue, too.

I can capture some .pcap traces if you'd like to see them.  You can use
"wireshark" to view them.  If you haven't tried wireshark, it's stupid
simple to use and gives you full protocol decode.  (I don't think it
understands FBB, but it does understand telnet).   If you want to contact me
off list we can discuss what to capture and where to deposit the files.

Michael