[nos-bbs] nos-bbs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 20

George [ham] VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 19 10:49:48 EST 2012

I have joined the same camp as JJ some time ago.
My choice was to create the user named "jnos" on one 24/7 headless
server host at home to give round-the-clock access to the local 2-meter
network and use SMTP/POP protocol for email transfer to any other
desktop on the LAN.  The RS-232 link from the server to the TNC used a
pair of short-haul modems and cheap 2-pr tel wire. Maintenance -- just
use ssh to login as jnos user and have at it. Sudo when root was
needed.  It just worked.

On 11/19/2012 09:28 AM, JJ wrote:

> I run my jnos as a regular user in ubuntu-based linux mint 10 and mint
> 13.....using this method if you want to run tunnel iface:
> http://kb8ojh.net/packet/jnos.html

There is the configuration for sudo that may be set for convenience so
the selected user of jnos does not require a passwd.  Because I grew up
with *nix many years ago I don't ever favor root priveledges for
ANYTHING [except system maintenance of course].  Just personal.

There are a couple things requiring root however.  To set the "forward"
switch is one.  It is probably for these reasons that some other hams
favor just running in root.  In order to honor what I just wrote, I use
root to insert the switch setting into the boot script to get it done,
at the end of jnos there is no need to turn forward off so it remains
good.  Also give the selected user write permission during boot to the
/dev/port that jnos will use.  As you attempt to run jnos as a regular
user the system will error out on the root-needed features and that
might be the time to implement a solution for your particular OS choice.

All the best to you jerome -- Linux will make more sense when you finish.
Skip