[nos-bbs] iptables qestion -- more..

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Nov 15 14:45:07 EST 2012

Greetings,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> Well, since your linux machine has no iptables rules to block traffic, I
> would guess that you have a routing problem.

    I concur.  From the output you listed in your first email, you have NO
firewall rules (iptables -F flushes them all) and that is good :)

> Check the routes in JNOS, linux and your Internet firewall/router.

    If you are routing between interfaces in Linux, you MUST turn on IP
Forwarding in the kernel.  No packets can move between your eth and tun
interfaces unless this bit is set.

    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

    That should echo back a 1 if forwarding is set, or a 0 if it is not.
If it is a 0, you can set it to a 1 with the following command:

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

    Your autoexec.nos script typically sets this bit to on.

       --- Jay  WB8TKL