[nos-bbs] nos-bbs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 3

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Sat Nov 3 10:21:59 EDT 2012

Thanks John.  I guess I'll leave it set to 0.

I am aware that some BBSs don't handle FBB-style forwarding well.  I don't
know which ones or why.  I've just heard that.  So I was thinking that I
could set "mbox fbb 2"  and, if I experience errors with a particular BBS,
use the "!" connect command which the manual says is "eschew FBB
compression".  I'm not sure what that does exactly.

Can someone explain the whole FBB thing?  Specifically:
What exactly does "fbb 1" and "fbb 2" do?
How does it compare to "fbb 0"
Do the BBSs negotiate this at connect time?
Which BBSs handle which levels well?

Any scap of (accurate) info is appreciated.  As I go through this, I'm
assembling all the info and writing up a HOW-TO document to step our other
sysops through the process.  I'll be happy to share the results.  Perhaps
Maiko would want to post it on the website.